Japan Today — Japanese video game giant Nintendo has “insulted” Hong Kong fans by neglecting their plea to retain the more familiar Chinese names of characters in comic Pokemon, activists and fans said Monday. Petitioning at the Japanese Consulate General office, about 20 people led by radical political group Civic Passion and fans of the cartoon featuring super-powered creatures sought to have the Japanese government step in and press for more respect in local culture by Japanese firms.
Digi Times — Japan-based Nintendo is planning to launch its next-generation games console in 2016 and has recently asked its supply chain partners to start pilot production in October, at the latest. The console will be manufactured by Foxconn Electronics (Hon Hai Precision Industry), but Pegatron Technology is aggressively trying to snatch some of the orders, according to sources familiar to the plan.
TOKYO/OSAKA: Japanese videogame maker Nintendo Co Ltd forecast its long-awaited entry into smartphone games would help it double annual operating profit in the year through March, offsetting weak sales growth in its traditional consoles. Nintendo repeatedly resisted investor calls to shift focus to smartphone games to boost profitability, until it unveiled a gaming app partnership in March with DeNA Co Ltd. It said would also branch out to theme parks through a tie-up with Universal Parks & Resorts.
Nintendo’s Creator Program has forced another YouTube away from sharing content involving the Wii U. Joe Vargas, or “Angry Joe” to the two million people subscribed to his channel, has announced he will not cover Nintendo games following a copyright claim sent from the company on his Mario Party 10 Let’s Play. Vargas isn’t alone when it comes to copyright claims from Nintendo. In fact, almost every content creator not part of Nintendo’s revenue share program was flagged, even YouTubers with under 10,000 subscribers.
Nintendo is finally getting smart. In Tokyo today, the company announced that it is entering into a partnership with DeNA, the Japanese tech giant which rose to prominence on the strength of its smartphone games. During the press conference Iwata and Moriyasu revealed that this deal had been in the works since last summer. With the partnership announced, they confirmed that consumers can expect games to appear by the end of this year.
TOKYO: Nintendo shares shot up more than 21% on Wednesday after the videogame giant said it will enter the booming market for games on smartphones, in a U-turn long sought by investors. As traders pounced with buy offers overwhelming sell offers, the shares changed hands at 17,080.0 yen, up 21.3% after hitting the daily stop limit of 3,000 yen. It was the best closing price for the stock since June 2011. Nintendo, based in the ancient city of Kyoto, announced Tuesday it was teaming up with Tokyo-based mobile gaming company DeNA to develop games for smartphones.
TOKYO: Japan video game maker Nintendo Co Ltd and online gaming firm DeNA are teaming up to develop smartphone games featuring the likes of Super Mario, in a bid to retain users increasingly shunning their console and browser-based games. The two companies said on March 17 that they would buy 22 billion yen (122 million pounds) worth of shares in each other as part of a capital and product tie-up. As a result, Nintendo will acquire a 10% stake in DeNA while DeNA will acquire a 1.2% stake in Nintendo.
Last May, Nintendo announced its new console was already in the works. Several months later, another statement gave details that a system-on-a-chip (SOC) was being developed by its experts. Now, rumors are flying left and right that U.S. semiconductor firm AMD has been contracted by the gaming giant to make its SOCs. Tech news website Kitguru claims several industrial sources say Nintendo’s next-generation gaming console will be equipped with graphics technologies designed by AMD.
Nintendo announced the special demo version of Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire that allows players to transfer some content into the full game on Friday. The Japanese game company said the demo consist of “gameplay that players won’t experience anywhere else.” Nintendo didn’t further explain what exact details they’ll add but teases a familiar Pokemon creature that can now Mega Evolve can be obtained while playing the demo.
Starting tomorrow, Nintendo will offer a 3DS tethering app for select Android-powered smartphones and tablets on Japan’s Docomo wireless network. The exclusive app, called Kantan (Easy) Tethering, will be available through the Google Play store and Docomo’s bundled dmenu app. At launch, it will only be compatible with Samsung’s Galaxy S5 smartphone – which also happens to be debuting in the Japanese market tomorrow.