ALCATEL-Lucent and telco operator Chuan Wei are set to deploy Cambodia’s first 100 gigabit-per-second fibre-optic data network as the country invests further in its communications infrastructure to meet increasing demand for ultra-broadband access. With Cambodia’s economy growing at more than 7% annually, the country is becoming a key business hub for South-East Asia, Alcatel-Lucent said in a statement.
Alcatel-Lucent has collaborated with Korea-based telecommunication service provider KT, to drive innovation and the adoption of a comprehensive Network Functions Virtualisation (NFV)-based infrastructure. The collaboration with Alcatel-Lucent forms part of KT’s efforts to evolve its Giga Network, in which NFV will underpin the development of a new architecture to increase efficiency, lower costs and increase cloud products.
Alcatel-Lucent has today opened an innovative facility in Tokyo designed to give service providers and enterprise customers hands-on experience in the co-creation of new ultra-broadband and cloud-based services and applications, the networking communications company said in a press statement. The Alcatel-Lucent Customer Network Centre (CNC) is a first-of-its-kind in Japan – one of the world’s most advanced telecommunications markets, the company said.
China Huaxin Post & Telecommunication Economy Development Center formally announced that the company has completed the acquisition of Alcatel-Lucent Enterprise, a subsidiary of Alcatel-Lucent. China Huaxin and Alcatel-Lucent have jointly established a controlling company, which will be responsible for the global operation of Alcatel-Lucent’s enterprise business. China Huaxin holds a 85% stake in the joint venture, while Alcatel-Lucent owns the remaining 15% stake.
The low-cost smartphone race in India is getting hotter. A handful of handsets makers are rolling out low-cost phones with top-of-the-line features. Alcatel Onetouch has partnered with Mozilla to launch its new Fire C 2G loaded with Firefox OS. It is priced at a neat INR1,990 (US$32). Alcatel has also made a deal with Flipkart for exclusive sale of the Fire C 2G. Alcatel is the third handset maker after Intex and Spice to bring a Firefox OS-based phone to India. A month ago, Intex Cloud FX was announced for INR1,999 (US$32) and Spice Fire One Mi FX1 for INR2,299 (US$37). Both handset makers tied up with Indian telco Aircel to bundle free 1GB data for the first three months.
Bangladesh has signed a contract with a consortium to install a second submarine cable that will increase the country’s internet bandwidth by sevenfold. The SEA-ME-WE-5 cable that will connect 15 leading operators in the Asia-Pacific and Europe is expected to be installed in 22 months. “Bangladesh will be one of the consortium members as we signed the contract with an objective to get 1,400 gigabits per second of internet bandwidth for the country,” said Monwar Hossain, managing director of Bangladesh Submarine Cable Company Ltd. The contract was signed on Friday in Kuala Lumpur.
Two huge Internet cable projects, one submarine and one terrestrial, have been recently kicked off and will increase broadband Internet for the Gulf region – and with it Qatar – significantly. The first project is the new Southeast Asia-Middle East-Western Europe 5 (SEA-ME-WE 5) cable that will connect Asia, Africa and Europe and run over 20,000km from Marseille in France and Palermo in Italy to Singapore. Countries connected on the way are Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Myanmar, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan, the UAE, Oman, Djibouti, Yemen, Saudi Arabia and Egypt.
NEC Corporation has signed a contract with the South East Asia-Middle East-Western Europe 5 (SEA-ME-WE 5) consortium, comprising of 15 leading telecom operators to deploy a new 100 gigabit per second (Gbit/s) undersea cable system. The SEA-ME-WE 5 system will span 20,000 km from Singapore to Europe, and will deliver ultra-broadband capacity and faster access to consumers and businesses. The system will span 20,000 km connecting Singapore to France via Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Myanmar, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan, Oman, United Arab Emirates, Djibuti, Yemen, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Italy.
Alcatel-Lucent has signed a contract with the South East Asia-Middle East-Western Europe 5 (SEA-ME-WE 5) consortium of 15 leading telecom operators to deploy a new 100 gigabit per second (Gbit/s) undersea cable system in a deal valued at several hundred million US dollars. The SEA-ME-WE 5 system will span a 20,000 km-long swath from Singapore to Europe, and will deliver ultra-broadband capacity and faster access to consumers and businesses.